What will you build today? A Habitat home. A family’s dignity. A new skill. A close friendship.
|Volunteers are Habitat for Humanity Brampton’s greatest resource. Habitat homes are largely built with volunteers.
This minimizes costs. We need volunteers like you on home builds, in the ReStore, in our office, and on our committees. The time you spend volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Brampton will be an extremely rewarding experience. We appreciate and honour our volunteers for donating their time and talent. So come share your skills, meet new people, and help us put our mission into action. You can make an enormous difference in the lives of Brampton’s residents in need.
Do I need building experience to volunteer?
|Yes. And no! We invite volunteers from all walks of life, with various skill sets, to help us build homes to increase the quality of life of people in Brampton and Peel Region. But you don’t need to be handy with a hammer. You just need a big heart, some enthusiasm, and a willingness to work with others. We will teach and train you. Habitat for Humanity Brampton offers you a great opportunity to learn a new skill under the guidance of an experienced site supervisor.|
How can I help?
As a Habitat for Humanity for Humanity Brampton volunteer, there are many ways you can help. Click the links below to find out more.
The ReStore is vital to funding of our operations. In the ReStore we sells many of the
Volunteers in the ReStore must also be able to:
|Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday||Thursday||Saturday|
|9:00 am - 1:00 pm||9:00 am - 1:00 pm||9:00 am - 3:00 pm|
|1:00 pm - 4:30 pm||1:00 pm - 4:30 pm|
|or all day||4:30 pm - 8:00 pm|
|Be part of a salvage crew. Salvage crews visit donors’ homes to recover sellable items from home renovations and demolitions. Our most common salvage job is full kitchen removal. We contact volunteers as jobs come up so you don’t need a fixed time commitment. Trade and construction experience is preferred.|
Join one of our active Habitat committees! Most people think of construction work when they think about volunteering for Habitat, but we also have constant need for committee volunteers due to the tremendous amount of fund-raising, planning, and management required to achieve our mission.
With the help and dedication of our committee volunteers Habitat for Humanity Brampton is able to keep home prices low for our future home owner families. We are not looking for experts only a willingness to learn and work with others. Volunteers are expected to dedicate a minimum of 2-5 hours a month to their particular committee.
To learn more about the various committees that help Habitat for Humanity Brampton meet its strategic objectives, please click on the links below.
Wherever you think you’d best fit in and can make a great contribution. Committees usually meet once a month to work on their annual initiatives. Contact us through the contact us form below for more details.
– Volunteer members work with various social service agencies, churches, and community associations to locate low-income families who meet the criteria of Habitat for Humanity Brampton. Members review home owner applications, interview applicants, and recommend the families that will partner with Habitat to
construct their homes. They visit the families’ homes to establish present housing inadequacies. This role requires sensitivity, patience, flexibility and commitment. Volunteers should be aware of the issues confronting low-income families. They need to have respect and empathy for them. Committee members must sign a confidentiality agreement and make a minimum two-year commitment. (See Immediate Volunteer Postings)
- A vital link between our new families and Habitat for Humanity Brampton based on trust, respect, responsibility, and privacy. We support and educate a family through all aspects of home ownership, from preparing for the move, to participating in Habitat programs, to signing the final papers and finding extra support through community resources. Family home ownership workshops cover topics such as budgeting and seasonal home maintenance tips. The family also receives one-on-one support from the time they are selected to the happy day they move into their new home, and beyond. (See Immediate Volunteer Postings)
- The Site Selection Committee's goal is to seek out affordable and viable residential building lots in Municipalities within the Brampton Region on which we can construct simple, decent and affordable housing. The Committee relies on connections with local realtors, professionals and socially-conscious municipalities in finding sites. There is often substantial work required from the Site Selection Committee before a lot is delivered to the Build Committee, including re-zoning and site services such as sewer and water. (See Immediate Volunteer Postings)
- Founded on Christian principles, Habitat for Humanity Brampton believes that people of all faiths can come together to help end poverty housing. This committee builds and maintains relationships with faith groups of all religions in Brampton. We engage people through prayerful support, speaking opportunities, volunteer activities, fundraising and donations, family selection support, and ongoing spiritual encouragement for families in need.
Habitat is a partnership founded on common ground -- bridging theological differences by putting love into action. Everyone can use the hammer as an instrument to manifest God's love. Habitat founder Millard Fuller calls this concept "the theology of the hammer" explaining, "we may disagree on all sorts of other things . . . but we can agree on the idea of building homes with God's people in need, and in doing so using biblical economics: no profit and no interest." (See Immediate Volunteer Postings)
- Determines an appropriate
house design for a new property and follows it through construction to ensure that the house is built according to the selected design and specifications. This involves identifying the home owner’s specific needs, finalizing construction drawings, applying for all mandatory municipal permits, procuring materials and construction services, monitoring technical and schedule performance, finally inspecting the work, and rectifying any deficiencies. Community Volunteer Builds are also part of our mission.(See Immediate Volunteer Postings)
Help build a Habitat home. Help build hope. Together with volunteers, donors, and partner families we build homes of hope in Brampton. We welcome your support to help us build simple, decent, affordable homes. Please consider a donation of funds, materials, or your time.
Habitat for Humanity Brampton is currently looking for skilled volunteers, amateur enthusiasts or professionals who have construction skills and are willing to share them for a great cause. We cannot build without skilled volunteers, and we are always looking for leaders.
If you’re a senior high school student looking for community service hours, or you’re part of a workplace in search of an unforgettable team building experience, or you’re
a caring citizen wanting to help out in your community, Habitat for Humanity Brampton welcomes volunteer builders. Safety shoes are provided but we are limited in sizes so if you have your own CSA-approved safety boots we would appreciate if you can wear them.
What age do volunteers have to be?
You must be at least 16 years old to be a Build or ReStore volunteer.
Are there any other requirements?
Some volunteer positions require a police records check (local and RCMP files).
How do I register as a volunteer?
Email the Programs Manager through the contact us form below or call 905-455-0883 ext.223.
Volunteer Orientation Sessions
New volunteers must attend a Volunteer Orientation session. You will learn about Habitat for Humanity Brampton and you’ll have the chance to ask about how you can get involved. All sessions take place at the Brampton ReStore, 268 Rutherford Rd. S., Unit 3. Please confirm your attendance with the Programs Manager. For upcoming session dates click here
Email the Programs Manager by using the contact us form below or call 905-455-0883 ext.223.